نمایش نتایج: از 31 به 42 از 42
    1. Top | #31
      همکار سابق انجمن
      کاربر باسابقه
      کاربر برتر
      مدیر برتر

نمایش مشخصات
      The Last Stop

The Staten Island train ride was about an hour. There were about 20 stops. The view for most of the ride was trees and houses. The train finally arrived at Tottenville, the last stop. Tom said to Jerry, "Let's explore this town." A young woman spoke up. "Don't bother," she said. "There's nothing to see, nothing to do." Jerry asked, "There's nothing in the whole town?" She said, "What 'whole town'? There isn't even a whole town." Jerry laughed. "I'll bet you grew up here," he said. She nodded and got off the train. Jerry and Tom got off after her. Jerry said, "My two kids used to say the same thing about our small town in Vermont. But there was plenty to do and see there. I'll bet there's plenty in Tottenville, too." Tom said, "I'll bet we can find a bar or restaurant called The Last Stop, too."

2. Top | #32
      همکار سابق انجمن
      کاربر باسابقه
      کاربر برتر
      مدیر برتر

نمایش مشخصات
      "That Was Easy!"

He was at the Staples checkout counter. A red and white plastic "button" was on the counter. It was about five inches in diameter. On top of its plastic dome was the word "Easy." He asked the clerk, "What's this?" She said, "That's the Easy button." He asked, "What's it for?" She said, "Press down on it." He pressed down on the dome. He heard, "That was easy!" He pressed down again. Again, he heard, "That was easy!" He asked, "Is that it? Does it say anything else?" She said, "No, that's all it says. Do you want to buy one?" He said, "Buy one? This thing costs money?" She said, "It's only $5." He said, "$5!? Why would anyone pay $5 for this?" She said, "They see the button on our TV commercials. They think it's cute." He said, "But it doesn't do anything!" She said, "But it's cute!"

3. Top | #33
      همکار سابق انجمن
      کاربر باسابقه
      کاربر برتر
      مدیر برتر

نمایش مشخصات
      Go for the Gold

He looked at his bank statement for January. How much interest had his savings account earned? There was $1,036 in his savings account. The account had earned all of 11 cents interest in January. He told his wife. She laughed. "That's almost three cents a week," she said. "By December, you'll have enough interest to buy a small cup of coffee." He said that his money wasn't growing at all. "But your money's safe," she said. "You won't lose it. You won't get rich, either. Rich people make money by risking money. You'll never get rich if you play it safe." He said she was right. "I'm tired of playing it safe. I'm going to buy d. Gold prices doubled in the last four years. My $1,000 will become $2,000. We'll be rich!" She laughed. "'Rich'? $2,000 is hardly rich," she said. He said, "Compared to 11 cents, it is."

4. Top | #34
      همکار سابق انجمن
      کاربر باسابقه
      کاربر برتر
      مدیر برتر

نمایش مشخصات
      A Hard History Test

"I will never pass this U.S. history test," he said. "Why not?" his wife asked. "You passed the last test." He said, "This one is different. On the last test, there were paragraphs to read. Then there were questions to answer. But the answers to the questions were in the paragraphs. You could find or figure out the answers by rereading the paragraphs. This test has only questions—no paragraphs. For example: What year was the Constitution signed? I will get four choices. I must know that the answer is 1787." She asked, "So how will you learn all the answers?" "I have to study books on U.S. history," he said. "I have to remember the important facts in two or three different books." "Ha!" she said. "You can't even remember the author's name after you read one book." "I know," he said. "That's why I'll never pass this test."

5. Top | #35
      همکار سابق انجمن
      کاربر باسابقه
      کاربر برتر
      مدیر برتر

نمایش مشخصات
      What Size Do You Wear?

He asked his wife what size pants she wore. "I don't know," Annie said. "I bought all my pants in China. Sizes are different in America." They went downtown to Century 21. They took the escalator to the third floor. She asked a worker where women's dress pants were. "They're at the far end of the store," the worker said. Annie told the worker she didn't know what size pants she wore. "Let me look at you. You look like a Petite," said the worker. "Go to the Petite section. You'll find something there that fits you." Annie thanked her. "Let's go," she said to her husband. He was smiling. "What's so funny?" she asked. "Have you seen your bottom lately?" he asked. "I think that woman was being polite. Maybe we should look for the Not So Petite section." Annie said, "Maybe you should look for the sofa tonight."

6. Top | #36
      همکار سابق انجمن
      کاربر باسابقه
      کاربر برتر
      مدیر برتر

نمایش مشخصات
      Less Money for Swimming Pools

"We must spend less money on pools this summer," the mayor said. The city won't open four of 20 pools. It will shorten the swim season by two weeks. It will shorten daily pool hours. It will close pools on Mondays and Tuesdays. It will reduce the number of lifeguards. It will reduce the amount of water in the pools by 50 percent. "Everyone knows that a half-full pool is better than an empty pool," said the mayor. It will remove all of the diving boards. "That way nobody will get hurt diving into a half-full pool," said the mayor. It will shorten the bathroom hours. Pools will be open from 11 to 6. Bathrooms will be open from 12 to 4. "People will have to 'hold it' when the bathrooms are closed," said the mayor. "Nobody better pee in the pool. Our lifeguards wear sunglasses that detect yellow water."

7. Top | #37
      همکار سابق انجمن
      کاربر باسابقه
      کاربر برتر
      مدیر برتر

نمایش مشخصات
      Forget Me Not

He bought a Banana smart phone. Everybody talked about how intuitive it was. If it's so intuitive, he wondered, why does Banana offer so many classes on how to use it? He didn't take any classes, but he did learn a few things rather easily. For example, the Reminders application was a snap to use. He loved it. It was so easy to remind himself of so many things. His first reminder was to call his student dentist at NYU. Then he reminded himself to buy cherries at Fairway supermarket. Then he reminded himself to get a flu shot at Walgreens. His reminder list grew and grew. One Saturday morning at home, his phone alerted him to almost a dozen reminders. After the last alert, his wife said, "You haven't checked a single one of those reminders." He said, "I know. I have so many, I just ignore them all."

8. Top | #38
      همکار سابق انجمن
      کاربر باسابقه
      کاربر برتر
      مدیر برتر

نمایش مشخصات
      Worried About His Wife

Grace worked seven days a week. Almost always, she left home at eight in the morning. She didn't return home until eight in the evening. After eating a late dinner and watching a little TV, she turned on her computer. She did research for several hours. Then she went to bed. Each day, she traveled throughout Manhattan, either working for clients or searching for clients. She rode buses and trains. She walked for blocks in every neighborhood. She climbed flights of stairs. She ducked into restaurants to grab some food or use the rest room. She passed out her business cards. She sat down on park benches to rest her back and legs. One evening, her husband was massaging her feet. He said, "Honey, your hair's turning gray and your body's falling apart." She said, "I know. But every month, we have bills to pay. What choice do I have?"

9. Top | #39
      همکار سابق انجمن
      کاربر باسابقه
      کاربر برتر
      مدیر برتر

نمایش مشخصات
      Let It Snow, Let It Snow

A storm dumped 20 inches of snow on New York City. Kids loved the snow. Commuters hated it, especially commuters who drove cars. Snowplows pushed the snow off main city streets. But they pushed the snow up against parked cars. Elton's car was on a street in Brooklyn. A snowplow had pushed a huge pile of snow against the side of his car. He grabbed his snow shovel. He started digging his car out. He put the snow back into the street. A cop drove by. He told Elton that it was illegal to put snow into the street. He said it was a $100 fine. Elton said, "I need to get to work. Where else can I put this snow? Where else can my neighbors put it? Are they going to fine all of us?" The cop drove off. Elton continued to put the snow back into the street

10. Top | #40
      همکار سابق انجمن
      کاربر باسابقه
      کاربر برتر
      مدیر برتر

نمایش مشخصات
      A Stolen Baby

Ada was lonely. She wanted a baby. She went to a hospital. She stole a baby. She called her baby Norma. When she got older, Norma asked, "Where is my daddy?" Ada said that "daddy" had died. Norma asked, "What did daddy look like?" Ada showed Norma a picture of "daddy." Norma asked, "Why don't I look like you or daddy?" Ada said that she didn't know. Norma thought something was fishy. She thought she was a missing child. She did a lot of research. She made a lot of phone calls. She found out who her real parents were. She called them up. They couldn't believe it. Their little girl had found them after 20 years! They were so happy. Ada apologized to them. She was sorry she had stolen their baby. Norma's parents didn't accept Ada's apology. They said Ada should go to jail for a long time.

11. Top | #41
      همکار سابق انجمن
      کاربر باسابقه
      کاربر برتر
      مدیر برتر

نمایش مشخصات
      Plenty to Say to No One

In his final years, he rarely talked to anyone. As a boy, he had talked to everyone. He was curious about everything. He asked everyone questions about everything. As he got older, he began to notice something. People didn't answer his questions as often as they used to. Sometimes people didn't answer his questions at all. Many times they answered his question with their own questions: Who knows? Who cares? Are you writing a book? So he gradually stopped asking questions of people. Then he gradually stopped talking to people. After he died, his brother collected his belongings, including his computer. One of his computer files was his journal. It was over 4,500 pages long. The first sentences were: Why bother talking? People are just too busy to listen. I write because my computer accepts my every word. It never ignores me. It never patronizes me. It never interrupts me.

12. Top | #42
      همکار سابق انجمن
      کاربر باسابقه
      کاربر برتر
      مدیر برتر

نمایش مشخصات
      **** in the Library

Patrons can view **** on library computers in New York City. **** is allowed because it's an expression of free speech. The libraries cannot ban ****. "That's so disgusting!" said Emily, 74. “They say it's 'free speech.' But there should be limits to free speech. They should draw the line at **** in the library. A library is for reading and thinking. It's for improving your mind. It's not a place for gawking at naked people. It's not a place for Peeping Toms and other perverts. There are kids in a library! These kids are our future. We must not corrupt them. We must protect them from filth. I'm never going to use a library computer again. Who knows what filthy man was touching the keyboard? Men can be so disgusting—well, most men. My husband, bless his soul, was never interested in ****. He only had eyes for me."

صفحه 3 از 3 نخستنخست ... 23

افراد آنلاین در تاپیک

کاربرانی که در حال مشاهده این موضوع هستند

در حال حاضر 1 کاربر در حال مشاهده این موضوع است. (0 کاربر و 1 مهمان)

کلمات کلیدی این موضوع

آخرین مطالب سایت کنکور

• تبلیغات متنی انجمن